Chromatic Composer- final prototype

The End of Year Show inspired us to make a final iteration of our drawing machine. The previous prototype of the CC was made on wood and aluminium and its creation gave us the opportunity to work on the code and drawing possibilities of the project.  All the parts were cut, drilled and folded by hand which resulted in unstable carriages. Besides, the components and wires were exposed which definitively gave the machine an unclean and faulty look that we needed to improve.

2013-11-01 13.51.28

We decided to use black glossy perspex as the main material and take advantage of the laser cut outcome in terms of planning, accuracy, assembly and aesthetics.

IMG_0896 IMG_0900 IMG_0897

Once we assembled the pieces together and correct the bearings to prevent the carriages to step out of alignment, we realised that the pivoting of the pens continued due to the characteristics of the grip of the pen and type of movement, but also due to the hardness and shape of the pen tips. The solution we came out was, one, to modify the point tips so they could function more as a a brush, and two, to be able to introduce drops of ink to the pens to vary the characteristics of the paint.

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 08.55.50 Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 08.58.47

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s